Friday, February 10, 2017

The white album

One of the things I insisted on in the design of the kitchen was some open shelving. Now, to be clear, it's not a very big kitchen to begin with, but Steve, my architect, was able to create one little nook of shelves above the microwave and next to the fridge. It's a nice break visually from all the rest of the cabinetry.





It was the perfect place to put some of my collection of white bowls, vases, and pitchers, and I think the white works nicely with the white subway tiling. As with most things in the apartment each piece has a mini story to go along with it:

This set of 3 nesting bowls are Dansk. I bought them one weekend on sale in the Hamptons. My friend Ron and his mother were visiting and I spotted them in a kitchenwares store in Southampton. These photos make them look all the same size but they're graduated, a small, medium, and large one.







I find that pouring bowls come in very handy for all types of cooking, especially pouring batters for cakes and pancakes. I got this one from the Williams-Sanoma outlet store in Riverhead, NY.



I was an early fan of the potter Jonathan Adler. I bought this tiny vase from his first very teensy store in Soho, it was the size of a closet. His brand has taken off and he's everywhere now.



This is a vintage floral vase in matte white with a leaf pattern, it's probably McCoy or Roseville. I bought it in an antique store, Sage Street Antiques, in Sag Harbor.



This large matte white bowl was a gift. It's from Heath Ceramics in California.



Last but not least, this is a small enamelware creamer from IKEA.




No comments:

Post a Comment