Monday, March 6, 2017

Pasta puttanesca

I tend not to cook elaborate meals in the city, my kitchen is good sized but not huge. So I'm always on the lookout for quick easy recipes that require a minimum of fuss...like this recipe for Past Puttanesca that I spotted on the NYTimesFood Instagram feed a while back.

They describe the dish thusly:
"There are almost as many explanations for the origins of pasta puttanesca as there are ways to make it. Ostensibly a sauce invented and made by prostitutes, it was designed to lure customers with it's powerful aroma. Whatever the origin, no better cold-weather pasta sauce has come down to us. Puttanesca an be made completely with ingredients from the larder: in fact, it can be prepared entirely without ingredients that require refrigeration, though a bit of fresh herb at the end does help. The basis is a garlicky tomato sauce; canned tomatoes are preferable here. This brought to a high level of flavor by the addition of anchovies, capers, and olives. Red pepper flakes make things even better. The whole process is ridiculously easy."

I've prepared it a few times this winter, it's super easy. I like that I can keep the ingredients on hand and can whip it up in a moment's notice when I don't feel like grocery shopping.



Here's the photo from the Times...and you can find the recipe here.



No comments:

Post a Comment