Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The kitchen 'island'

I've lived in the apartment just over two years now. And since Day 1 I've always felt there was some wasted space in the kitchen, space I could put some kind of shelving for more storage and utility.
I'm speaking about this corner next to the window, here's how it used to look BEFORE:



I started to look on Craigslist to see if I might find something that would work here. I saw a cute little butcher block unit that looked like the right size, but it was from a seller in BROOKLYN. Ugh. Too far. They did mention in their ad that the thing was an IKEA item. I went to the IKEA website and, lo and behold, there it was. And only $20 more than the Craigslist asking price. I snapped it up.
I got back to the apartment last night and couldn't wait to assemble it. There were a lot of screws and I almost got a blister on my palm from pressing so hard on the screwdriver but it came together nicely. And I LOVE it. It holds a lot of skillets, pans, and pots underneath. And now I have a place to put my computer when I'm following a recipe that I found online....and I can play music too! Kitchen bliss!
Here's the AFTER shots, I'm thinking of adding a nice hook to one of the legs to hang a potholder from:



No comments:

Post a Comment