Sunday, August 30, 2015

A home office for the weekend house

Okay, Okay.
I know this blog is supposed to be about my city apartment renovation, but if you recall I also undertook a project at my weekend house, one much smaller in scale than the apartment, that I think would psychologically make me feel like I was accomplishing SOMETHING.
So I decided to turn one of the guest bedrooms into a home office, and lo and behold, it's FINISHED! Hooray. I'm feeling very good.
I'm so happy with the way this room turned out.
I've been wanting to add shelves like this in that space for almost 15 years, now it's a vision realized.
I'm still adding more stuff to the shelves as I find it throughout the house, but you get the idea.


There's plenty of space for all my arts and craft supplies, plus scads of room for CD's (yes, I still buy them, so shoot me), DVD's, books, totchkes, and board games.
The daybed is a real success. I can't wait to take a nap there once the weather turns cooler and it's too cold to sleep on the porch.


An extra nice thing is the big comfy easy chair, perfect place to curl up with a good book. I used to sit in that chair all the time when I first bought the house, it was in the dining room. But when I remodeled and extended the length of the kitchen the dining area got smaller so that chair had to go. It was relegated to the upstairs guest room, I never sat in it anymore. Now things will change, I'll use this room more often.


One funny story: if you remember, I had taken pains to choose a new set of colors for the room, all white on the trim and a buttery yellow on the walls...happy and sunny was to be the mood.
Well, "best laid plans" as they say. Somehow my contractor overlooked the email that stipulated the color choices and he re-painted the room in the exact colors I had before! That meant the shelves are a muted green and the wall are an acid yellow, "Prada green" as a friend once dubbed it.
And you know what?
I LOVE it. I mean, I DID choose those colors once upon a time, and I loved them then...and they still work. I never would have had the courage to paint the shelves all green like that, but somehow it totally fits the vibe of what I was going for: a homey, crafty place to create, write, relax. I think the green is more masculine and it feels right for the period of the house, a late '40s Cape. I had these old doorknobs stashed away in the basement, I can't remember where I salvaged them from. They're slightly worn and tarnished, the brass finish a little deckled with age. And they work like a charm, they make the shelves look like they've been there for 60 years.
I'm already plotting my next craft project...stay tuned, it's gonna be GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment