Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Design challenges

Steve the architect called me today.
He was on site at the apartment and wanted to give me a progress report on a couple of things.
The first was an issue with the mantel.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the sides have been positioned in place, they're now working on installing the metal firebox. They noticed that the box is smaller than the opening left when all the marble pieces I was given are put together. There's a gap between the box and the edge of the side marble edges.

Mantel in construction; notice how the metal firebox doesn't meet edges of marble side pieces

Steve is suggesting that we add a piece of metal that will match the aged look of the firebox all around the perimeter. It will be painted black to match the firebox. I think it will look fine. I told him that I trust his judgement to make it look sharp, "if you're happy, I'm happy" I said.
He also wanted me to see how nicely the cove ceiling corners look in the bathroom. They've engineered them to a size that won't necessitate using different sized tiles to make the curve, they'll use tiles of all the same size up the wall. The resulting look will be more uniform.

Ceiling corners in bathroom; tiles will be placed up the wall and overhead

No comments:

Post a Comment