Friday, November 27, 2015

The countdown


ONE WEEK from today I will be moving in. 'Come hell or high water' as they say. Even if the workers still need to keep working on the final punch list after next Friday, I WILL BE MOVING IN.
I'm broke and I can't keep paying for the other apartment I'm staying in. I've gone way over budget and this double rent situation is killing me. Not to mention that I'm sooooo tired of not having a home in the city to call my own. I moved out of my last apartment in January and in some ways this year has gone very fast...and some ways it's been the slowest year of my life. I'm ready for 2016 to start a whole new life in the new place in a whole new year. But did I mention there's still one catch? Oh, yes. This apartment saga wouldn't be what it is without a snag. The windows, the last of the majorly big things to get done in the renovation, were due to arrive LAST week. That didn't happen. The window company has told us that they have been shipped (from across the country), and that they're due to arrive NEXT WEDNESDAY. That's only TWO DAYS before my move. It's going to take at least one day to install them and another day (at least) to finish all the tile work around them in the kitchen and bathroom. I'm thinking it's going to take longer that. So....that's why I think I'll be living with workers coming into the apartment for the first few days while I'm unpacking. My architect Steve keeps telling "Calm down, it'll all be fine, they'll be done". I think he's just patronizing me. I have no reason to think it will be done because he and the contractor have been wrong countless times before. It's very frustrating. Do I care that things won't be done.? YES. But it is what it is. I'm NOT going to postpone the move again. This is it. Fini. Stick a fork in me: I'M DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment