Sunday, February 28, 2016

Mirror, mirror

I stayed in the city this weekend because I was attending an Oscar party tonight...so I decided to take on a weekend project I've been wanting to tackle. I wanted to paint the white entry hallway shelf and the white mirror that sits on top of it.

The hall shelf & mirror: BEFORE
My architect, Steve, suggested I paint both pieces in the same gray as the walls, a 'tone on tone' idea. I wasn't brave enough to do that, the shelf, yes. The mirror, no. Then my friend Jim suggested I gold leaf the mirror to mimic all the rest of the warm bronze and gold in the rest of the apartment. I liked this idea a lot but the idea of gold leafing was a bit daunting. I'd seen the technique done before (on the Martha Stewart show), but wasn't sure where to get the supplies and I can't help but think it's expensive? Then my friend Jan said "why not try gold paint?" Aha! Perfect solution. I went to Home Depot and discovered the Ralph Lauren line of Metallics. They have to be specially mixed but it was only $22 dollars for a pint.



One of the give-away brochures from the paint department

I figured I could use the leftovers to paint other things in the future. For instance, I bought that dining table at CB2 and it's on back order. I may paint the silver base this bronzy gold color if I decide it's too much silver for the space.
Here are some pictures of the project in process...and the final result. I've very happy with how it turned out.

Painting the mirror on my desk


Painting the shelf; doing the cubbies took FOREVER

The finished paint job

The two pieces: AFTER

And for good measure, here's the BEFORE & AFTER side by side

#oscarsowhite, #mirrorsogold, #LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment