Friday, April 29, 2016

The dish on the compote

I was watching a rerun of one of my favorite TV programs the other day, "The Dick Van Dyke Show", and I noticed that Rob and Laura had a compote dish on their coffee table. The were having coffee with their neighbor, Jerry Helper. Since then I've noticed the same compote in other episodes.

The Petrie's coffee table compote.
They use it as a candy dish I believe.
I should say I'm a huge fan of compotes. The somehow seem a little more special than just an ordinary bowl; it's something about raising the contents up on a pedestal that elevates the mundane to a higher level.
So I should point out that I have one on my "dining room" table (well, it's more like a dining niche), but all the same, it's appointed with a little dark green compote dish that I brought back from a trip to Thailand.


My compote dish that sits on my dining table.
They make a lot of pottery there and compotes are very common. You see them a lot in altars devoted to Buddha, laden oftentimes with oranges and lemons. I do the same. Nothing like a nice bowl of lemons to brighten up a table I say.

Lemons in a bowl are Oprah's favorite decorating tip; Google it!



No comments:

Post a Comment