Saturday, April 23, 2016

The obelisk

There are several little 'pocket parks' along Sutton Place South. The one that's at the southern most end is called 'Sutton Place Park'. It's very narrow, a small, almost triangular smidgen of greenery and benches. It's a teensy bit too close to the FDR highway and the traffic noise it causes for my taste ( I much prefer the little park across the street from my building), but any respite from this city's steel and concrete should be appreciated. The one thing I do like about this tiny place is that it boasts a lovely focal point, a decorative obelisk. It's a circular globe and sundial. At the base it has some inset stonework indicated north, south, east, and west. And around the circumference the signs of the zodiac are featured in gold detail. Very nice.

You can see the FDR and it's signage very close to the left

A detail of the zodiac emblems 

I'm partial to Sagittarius ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment