Thursday, June 9, 2016

Life's a (Hamilton) beach

There is nothing I love more for breakfast than a good egg sandwich.
On a biscuit. Wrapped in a tortilla. Or on an English muffin.
And I'm not above sampling the wares of a Dunkin' Donuts or a McDonald's either. They both make very fine versions. Just add a nice cup of coffee and I'm a happy morning camper.
So I was in heaven over the Memorial Day weekend when I visited my friend Doris at her house up in Colombia County. She made everyone egg sandwiches in a great little contraption made by Hamilton Beach. The egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich she served was so good I said, "Where did you get that thing?"
"Walmart! You should get one, they're only 19 bucks."
The next day we made a trek to America's favorite retail establishment (a very nice one I might add) and I picked up my Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker.
Basically, it's a mini hotplate. Well, two mini hotplates actually. You layer in your biscuit or English muffin on the bottom plate, then add cheese, bacon, or ham (I bought that ham that's cut in circles, it fit perfectly), then break an egg into the separated top hotplate and cover with the other half of the muffin. The whole thing cooks up in 4 to 5 minutes and then--VOILA!-- you slide out a perfect breakfast sandwich. Top with hot sauce and who wouldn't love that?
What I love is the diminutive size of the thing; when you live in a studio apartment you are always looking to conserve space. This little machine fits nicely under the counter (you don't have to leave it out), and the clean-up is super easy. The middle griddle plate lifts right out and you can plop it in the dishwasher. Perfect.
Best $19 dollars I ever spent.



The mini griddle


This morning's ingredients: English muffins, cheese, eggs, and ham


The perfect egg sandwich


YUMMO



No comments:

Post a Comment