Sunday, December 4, 2016

The candle save

A couple of years ago I bought a really nice candle holder at Crate & Barrell. A thick wooden base with a  tall glass cylindrical hurricane that went on top. It would hold big pillar candles. When I moved into the new apartment I kept it on the coffee table. One time I had burned a candle and as it melted it flooded the base completely with wax on the inside of the glass. The next day when I went to clean out the wax the glass broke. Ugh. So into the closet the wooden base went for a year.
Then I had a brainstorm this morning. I had a cylindrical glass vase in one of the kitchen cabinets I never used. It fit perfectly on the wooden base of the candle holder. I had a pillar candle but it was too tall for the vase so I cut about an inch and a half off the bottom. It was a mess to do but it fit perfectly inside the vase. The next brainstorm was that I deduced I could save a lot of money by not burning big pillar candles anymore if I just placed a tea light in the top. It looks like the pillar is burning up on the mantle. So the whole thing was a 'work around save' all around.

The wooden base and new hurricane...
with a tea light on the inside...
and a perfect look on the mantle :)






No comments:

Post a Comment