Saturday, July 11, 2015

Gloria in the rubble

There's a famous photograph from Life magazine of the old silent screen star Gloria Swanson standing amid the rubble of the once grand Roxy Theatre as it is being demolished.


I thought of that photo when I  went to see the progress of the apartment today.
I had only seen photos (the ones I posted this week), and I couldn't hold myself back, I just had to see it in person.
There I was standing in the rubble of what was once a nasty wreck of an apartment, but instead of it all coming down, it was a place at the beginning of its rebirth.
Let's not kid ourselves though, it has a LONG way to go. It's till looks like an archeological excavation site, dirt, dust, rocks, mortar, plaster, are everywhere.
The encouraging thing is that you can tell it's going to be so much brighter and lighter now that it's being opened up. Lighter paint on the walls will help too.
Here are some more pics of my own to add to last week's...

View into bath and kitchen

View into the gallery space

The entryway

Kitchen and bathroom demolished

Area between kitchen & bath

Bathroom floor

What used to be the floor of the shower stall




No comments:

Post a Comment