Saturday, March 19, 2016

Forget it, Jake, it's "Chinatown"

My original poster for "Chinatown" (1974)
One of my prized memorabilia possessions is an original poster for the classic 1974 film noir "Chinatown", starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. I had it framed years ago and it hangs in the corner behind my desk. Of course I love the movie but the poster is superb piece of graphic art in its own right. I bought it in the early '80s through the mail from a vintage poster dealer, I think I paid about $20 for it. Now, this was only six or seven years after the film was made. In the years since, it's become quite a collectible with movie buffs, as the movie's reputation has burnished over time. I did some research online recently, and depending on the condition of the poster, an original like mine can sell for upwards of $600 to $1000! Not a bad investment on my part, right?

Nicholson & Dunaway in a scene from the movie



No comments:

Post a Comment