Sunday, May 15, 2016

Magic carpet ride

If there was one thing my architect, Steve, and I disagreed on throughout the design process it was the floor material for the kitchen. I believed strongly that it should be tile or linoleum, something that could withstand getting wet or splattered. He felt it should be the same hardwood flooring as the entryway and hallway (and the rest of the apartment). He felt the visual 'flow' would be interrupted if we started a new material right at the entrance of the kitchen. During the construction, when I first saw the space I had to agree that it would be an odd transition. But the thought of maintaining wood flooring in the kitchen gave me the real heebie-jeebies. I find that liquids can form stains and marks very easily. Steve said the solution would be a kitchen carpet that could withstand all the wear and tear of cooking. In the end I acquiesced knowing that I was right functionally, but wrong aesthetically. So the search was on for the right carpet. It took me months to find the right one. I didn't want an ordinary rug, it would be too easily stained. And the dimension was awkward, very long and narrow. After looking everywhere I found just the right one in the Ballard Designs catalog, and the price was very reasonable too. I thought the gray trellis design would work nicely with the dark grout pattern in the white subway tiles and the gray cabinetry, and the size was perfect. I'm very happy with it.







You can find the "Tricia" trellis indoor/outdoor rug here.


No comments:

Post a Comment