Friday, May 20, 2016

The port cocheré

The French call it a "port cocheré", my friend Dean laughingly says that's a fancy way of saying "car port". In any event, the dictionary defines the phrase as "a covered entrance large enough for vehicles to pass through, typically opening into a courtyard, or a porch where vehicles stop to discharge passengers". I think it's one of the more distinctive architectural designs of my building, which is situated on a corner, so that it allows for this transverse.

The corner entrance of my building, a classic "port cocheré"
Taxis can pull into the port cochere to drop people off and if it's raining you don't get wet. You can also pull your car into it to drop things off. But you have to be quick about that. The building frowns on leaving your car there for more than a very quick idle, you have to move it along as other vehicles could be waiting behind you. I've often wondered why more buildings in the city didn't incorporate this idea into their designs, it makes so much sense.
Right now, and for the next few months, our port cocheré is being renovated. One of the doormen told me there was some kind of water drainage issue. The concrete edges too had gotten quite worn over time. So there's an assessment currently in place to pay for the cost of the renovation. Both vehicle entrances are blocked right now with protective barriers to allow the workmen to do their job (and to hide the unsightly worksite). But there are peepholes along the walls so you can see the progress. There's a side entrance to the building and that's the one we're using for the time being to gain access in and out of the building.

The current worksite covering
One thing I never noticed on the corner of the building is a taxi lantern. One of my fellow tenants showed me recently that there is a special button inside the elevators that says "TAXI".

The special TAXI button in the elevator

If you push it, it illuminates the lantern to signal cabs to stop by for a passenger pickup.

The taxi lantern on the corner of the building
This goes under the heading "you learn something new everyday". Now, I haven't tried this little amenity yet because, well, I'm too poor right now to take taxis, but as soon as my finances are in better shape I will definitely give it a try. It's the old 20th Century version of Uber, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment