Sunday, April 26, 2015

Gallery exhibit, pt. 1

After the basic floorplan is agreed upon and approved the next step is to go over the 'design development' with the architect, all the surfaces, fixtures, colors, textures of the apartment, so that the job can be bid out to a contractor. Happily it was a great meeting. I was very much on the same page with Steve and liked almost every detail he came up with. I had sent him a bunch of images ("scrap") of interiors I liked to let him know where my thoughts were. He took those initial ideas and expounded on them. I call this process "giving me my idea back, but better."
I'm going to share each room's design in successive posts along with the images that inspired the design details. I'm sure things will tweak and change along the way but it will give a good indication of where things are going.
When you pass through the little entry foyer from the front door you move into the gallery space.





















There will be a wall of storage closets and drawers that will go from floor to ceiling. There will be some sort of simple millwork applied to these openings.












Hotel closet doors I liked
I recently stayed at a new Kimpton hotel and quite liked the closets, they have the feeling I want to go for here. I also like the door handles.


















I like these handles





















At the end of the gallery will be a small dining niche with an upholstered seating bench. It will have shelves above and below. The tufted seat can be lifted for storage inside. There will also be recessed lighting here. I think I'll put a small table in front of the bench, a cozy place to eat or have coffee. The whole gallery space will be hard wood floors in a medium brown, not too dark (dark always shows too much  dust!)

No comments:

Post a Comment