Saturday, April 4, 2015

The lemon bars

It was the day of my long awaited Board interview. I didn't think it was going to happen because the day before was the first massive snowstorm of the winter. All the news services said it was going to be a 'Snowmaggedon' and a 'Snowcopolypse', I thought for sure my meeting would be canceled but I got an email from the managing company that morning that things were definitely 'on'. I was to meet a few Board members in the President's apartment in the penthouse of the building at 5:00. I was so early--I didn't dare be late--that I had time to stop in at a Dunkin' Donuts around the corner and grab a little sugary reinforcements and cup of coffee.
When I arrived at the building the doorman told me his instructions were to have me wait in the lobby until the Board was ready to see me, they were tending to some other business. One of the other members was late and as she was walking in she introduced herself. Just at that moment the doorman got the call to say they were ready for us both upstairs.
We got off the elevator and were greeted by the President. She couldn't have been more lovely and warm. She invited me in and as she was taking my coat she said, "Now, it looks like you didn't get the message." "The message?" I said, with a stiff nervous smile. I was dying inside. I had already screwed up the interview. She smiled again and said, "The message about the lemon bars...you didn't bring them with you. We wanted you to bring us lemon bars!"

It took me a split second but it finally clicked.
She was referring to something a friend of mine had mentioned in his recommendation letter about me, one of the several letters required in my Board package. Among my many 'talents' that Tony waxed on about was that I made a pretty good lemon bar. (In all honesty, the recipe I make IS good, but I can claim none of the credit. That goes to the famous Barefoot Contessa herself, Ina Garten). So realizing that I was being kidded, I laughed and said, "Oh, the lemon bars! Well I promise to make you all a batch if everything goes well tonight!"  That got a laugh. The ice was broken. I had a good feeling.  We walked into the beautiful living room where three other Board members were waiting, two other ladies and a gentleman. I introduced myself and we did our hellos. One of the ladies handed me a page from the NYTimes Food section. "I brought you this" she said. Just that week there was a recipe about lemon bars made with olive oil. I was so sweet of her to think of me. I thanked her profusely.
"You see, " the President said, "I read all those recommendation letters quite closely. I think they say so much about a candidate's personality. And your friends have such nice things to say about you...especially that you're a good baker, I can't wait to taste those lemon bars!"
They were very kind letters. I owe a big debt to everyone who helped me out by writing them. Obviously they were crucial to this approval process. So a big THANK YOU to Robert, Jim, Jan, and especially Tony (Tone, I owe you a big fat batch of you-know-what now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment