Sunday, April 19, 2015

Marilyn slept here

After I first saw the apartment I wanted to learn more about it's history, maybe it was the abode of somebody famous since having been built in 1938? A quick search on the internet and I hit the jackpot, seems the building did have a celeb pedigree after all. None other than MARILYN MONROE once called the building home.

Marilyn & Arthur, June 22, 1956
It was the mid-1950s and she was newly married to playwright ARTHUR MILLER. I couldn't uncover which apartment was theirs exactly but I did find out it was on the 8th floor (I'm on 5). So I'm only three floors from the ghost of her Hollywood presence.











A little more online digging even turned up some photos of the famous couple in front of the building. On Friday, June 22, 1956 they even gave a press conference in the lobby!
Here are a few photos.
Leaving by the revolving door 



















Front portico of my building with revolving door

There's no mistaking the corner drive-thru portico and the revolving door behind them in these shots.




Note the pink marble colonnades



You can even see the pattern of the pink marble in the colonnades. How cool is that?












No comments:

Post a Comment