Thursday, May 7, 2015

Living life in the living room, pt. 2

When you live in a studio apartment you need to find storage space wherever you can get it. Space is a precious commodity. That's why I told Steve that I wanted him to design a built-in captain's bed for me.   It would allow me considerable 'dresser' space underneath it with three large drawers for keeping socks,  tshirts, underwear, etc. And since there was really only one true place to put the bed--the wall to the right of the step-down entrance to the main room--a permanent furniture fixture would not be a problem. In other words, I won't be re-arranging the room anytime in the future as there's no where else for the bed to go!











































Here are some examples of captain's beds with storage drawers.




Steve also designed a little cubby hole to one side of the bed that will serve as a 'nightstand'...a place for the current book I'm reading, my reading glasses, the alarm clock, and a carafe of water. To each side of the bed we're going to put a small wall sconce/reading light. We've chosen the "Envoy" from School House Electric. Again, I'm going for the warm brass look.

The "Envoy" bedsconce from School House Electric

The headboard will be recessed into the wall with a tufting to make it comfortable to lean against. We haven't settled on the exact kind of tufting (Steve is suggesting it mimic the seating in the gallery's dining niche). The fabric is still TBD. Again, if it's the same as the other seat my fear is that it will be too "matchy-matchy", so stay tuned for these decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment