Saturday, May 2, 2015

Living life in the living room, pt. 1

The main room of the apartment--the living room as I call it--is technically also the bedroom and study.  That's life in Manhattan. Space is a luxury but I like to think that living small can sometimes be living large if you play your cards right. I lived in my last studio apartment for 11 years and never once felt cramped...but then again, I had the good fortune to have a house with a yard to escape to on weekends.
In any event, the main living room is generously proportioned.


You step down into it from the gallery space and it's got lots of light with a big picture window and two other large windows on an adjoining wall.












The feature wall with mantel and bookshelves











Picture window wall











My favorite thing is the feature wall. There's a faux fireplace mantel in the center flanked by two sets of built-in bookshelves with doors concealing more shelves at the bottom. The cable box and DVD player will be concealed in here along with all wires to the flat screen TV which I'll mount above the fireplace. I've been thinking I want to paint this wall in a high-gloss paint to catch the light and to off-set a marble mantel ( I found a vintage one, more on this in a future post). Above the shelves I want three library lights to shine a glow down onto the books. Here's some scrap to show the paint texture and lighting ideas. 

High gloss bookshelves



















I like these library lights




















I like this paint color for shelves

As for color I'm leaning toward a slivery sage-y green, something that will work well with wood tones and my brown leather couch. The floors are in decent shape, we're going to stain them a not-too-dark mahogany. Steve wants to leave them with no sheen but I think I will convince him that I want a satin texture, it will give a nice hint of polish to kick a little more light around the room. Wall color is TBD, Steve wants to paint the entire room in the high gloss feature wall color, I'm not so sure. I'm worried it will be "too too". I'm thinking a simple Decorator White...stay tuned on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment