Thursday, May 28, 2015

Opening bids

My Board package was approved.
The Board interview went well (I "passed").
The closing went off without a hitch.
And my renovation plan was (finally) greenlit.
It was now time to get bids from contractors.
My experience has been that three bids is usually customary.
Steve, the architect, knew of three vendors he thought would be right for the job.
I suggested perhaps using the contractor who did my last renovation, the joining of two studios to make a 2BR/2B, but they were booked up all summer.


Steve met with all three vendors at the apartment to go over the design plans. One of them even brought his mason/tiler to assess the aparment and the job as I had stressed how important the tiling was going to be in the look of the bathroom. Steve let's them know the kind of finishes, fixtures, and appliances we're looking for so they can input that into their bid. He did not, however, tell them the target price I was looking to spend. That number you keep close to the vest; you want to see where these guys come in on their own. Once Steve receives their numbers he does work with them a bit to trim any 'fat' or unnecessarily high line items. The process takes two or three weeks, then he and I will sit and go over the bids...once that happens we award the job and set a demolition date. It's so close I can almost taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment