Friday, May 22, 2015

Rear windows


I found out when I purchased the apartment that one of the prerequisites of any renovation plans I'd do was that all the windows had to be replaced with newer ones. This was fine by me because the current windows are in such a state of disrepair who'd want to keep them anyway? I mean, the one in the bathroom wouldn't even close all the way, the little old lady who lived there before me had stuffed Kleenex tissues all around the edges to presumably keep out the cold!

The unclosable bathroom window, ugh.
There is one big picture window on the opposite wall of the main room, you see it square in front of you when you walk into the space, and there are two large side windows on the adjoining wall.

Main picture window in living room






















Same window, wider shot
Two side windows in living room

The kitchen also has a good size window for nice light.
The apartment faces the back of the building onto a small courtyard separating the buildings behind it. 
They afford the apartment a good amount of light especially in the middle of the afternoon where there is direct light coming into the space.
I loved the idea of casement windows from Day One. I want them to be metal in black or dark charcoal gray. I feel that not only will they feel right for the period of the building (late 1930's), but they'd be a nice masculine detail for the overall feeling of the space, sort of industrial chic if you know what I mean.
Steve agreed wholeheartedly and knew of a great supplier, Euroline,  who makes a very nice double paned model that is going to have just the look I'm going for. Here are some picture from their website, 
http://eurolinesteelwindows.com


Euroline casement windows






Euroline casement windows
















Here's even a look at what the handles will look like...they're gonna be nice, huh?

Euroline handle detail

No comments:

Post a Comment