Friday, January 15, 2016

"Black Bramford"

I mentioned in my last posting that "one of the shareholders", as my Super phrased it, had complained about the unsightly appearance of my front door. Well, there are only three tenants who it could have been as there are only four apartments on my floor. The vestibule when you get off the elevator is quite small, 20 feet at most, but only those on my floor would be the ones to see my door in it's current state. Three 'suspects' in the mystery. I've met two of them, and both seemed quite nice, although one did take me to task a little bit for the noise that occurred when my apartment was being renovated. Really? It was a gut renovation, there's going to be a little noise involved! The only other person I've encountered was a friend of the last tenant I haven't met yet. She was his cat sitter. She too was lovely and quite friendly and welcoming...but she doesn't live here. I will say though, that as I meet more and more people I'm feeling like I've moved into a very kooky building. It's not as bad as the building Mia Farrow and John Cassevettes move into in the classic movie "Rosemary's Baby", The Bramford, or as one of the characters in the movie calls it "black Bramford" because of all the nefarious goings on in the building's history, but the more I become acquainted with my neighbors I'm beginning to wonder. Let's just say that if I start wearing an amulet filled with tannis root around my neck, get me outta there.

"The Bramford", the apartment building in "Rosemary's Baby" which in real life is the famous Dakota on West 72nd St.

"Are you aware that The Bramford had rather an unpleasant reputation around the turn of the century?"
"This house has a high incidence of unpleasant happenings."
Here's a good clip from the movie featuring Maurice Evans telling the happy couple about The Bramford's spooky lore, you can watch it here.

"Tannis anyone?"

No comments:

Post a Comment