Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Going, going...budget GONE!

My architect, Steve,  and I re-examined everything in the contractors' bids to see what items we could trim and/or cut altogether to bring the estimates down without totally compromising our vision. Some things stayed and some things went.
I decided I definitely wanted to keep the high-end appliances, the stove and refrigerator. So the Sub-Zero and Wolf stove are staying, those things can help sell an apartment (I know this firsthand). But I could scale back on the dishwasher and washer/dryer. Okay, this was a start. I also said we could scale back on the kitchen and bathroom sinks and toilet. There are plenty of good brands out there that are quite good. I said 'no' to lesser brands of sink fixtures; I think they are a major feature of both rooms, also in the shower. We decided a good place to trim were the kitchen cabinets. It's a somewhat small and modestly sized kitchen, I don't need to spend exorbitantly on custom made millwork. I will be quite happy with standard factory cabinets. This is a BIG savings. Great hardware will add the right touch and they'll look terrific. The new windows throughout the apartment are expensive, they have to stay though. There's no substitute for the quality and look of the kind we want. We are going to try less expensive subway tiles in the kitchen (ceramic) and in the bath (marble). We'll also pick less expensive flooring in the kitchen, bath, and front hallway. We also found savings in not doing a super high-gloss finish on the living room millwork shelves, simple paint will be sufficient. Another big money saver. The last thing to be trimmed was the captain's bed, I can keep my current bed frame.


So taken altogether, these cutbacks brought down the bid of Steve's favorite contractor a lot, a good 130K! Needless to say I was very happy with that number. We can even bring the cost down more if I buy the appliances myself and not go through the contractor for the purchase. I found a very good appliance outlet in middle Long Island when I renovated the house, they are super nice and their prices are even better. But lest you think I'm getting through all this budget stuff Scott free with no overages, think again. I am still WAY over my original budget for the total renovation. It was all the old apartment features (lead paint, wiring, asbestos) that did me in. Thank heaven the place was so cheap to begin with! If I hadn't found it as a bargain, I'd be screwed. 
What about the other bids you ask? They were all much too high, much higher than the contractor we're going with. Steve assures me that our guy does great work, is super conscientious, clean and honest. Sold! Sounds good to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment