Saturday, June 27, 2015

Piéce de résistance

Remember how I didn't believe Steve when he said the demolition would start the next day, after all the hazerai about the missing paperwork and deposit?
I WAS RIGHT.
I knew it was too good to be true.
Not only was there another setback...there were TWO.
The contractor was all set to go the next day but then the Super told him the crew couldn't start.
The management company STILL wasn't giving approval.
Steve got in touch with them to ask "What now?"
Paperwork will be the death of me.
Seems they neglected to tell him (on purpose?) that after the Alteration Agreement was signed by me,  there had to be a ONE WEEK WAITING PERIOD for the surrounding tenants to be notified of the renovation on their floor. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this bureaucratic wormhole I've fallen into. This stipulation is in the TEN PAGE DOCUMENT but it's a line item, it doesn't necessarily jump out at you. But I signed it and agreed to all the rules. Why can't people be humane and tell you these things in advance?
But wait.
It's gets better.
The next day I get an email from the contractor, Guillermo.
When he was at the apartment trying to start the demo (but subsequently being shut down), my neighbor from across the hall, an 80 year old gentleman, spoke to him. As he wrote in his email, "Mr. ______ was not happy at all to hear that we are starting construction work in your apartment. In mode of warning, he advised me to reconsider the project." RECONSIDER THE PROJECT??  What is he talking about? No one in their right mind would buy that apartment in the condition it was in and not renovate it!  He went on to say that the old man had 'breathing problems' and that the last renovation on the floor was a neighbors kitchen that backed onto his kitchen and dust came through the wall and it affected his health.  But best of all, he was going to notify his attorney about the situation and would not cooperate.


I was apoplectic. I called Steve in a panic.
He talked me in off the ledge (I've been out on that damn ledge so often during this apartment odyssey that I ought to set up camp out there).
He said he had been talking to the management company.  I am 100% within my rights as a shareholder to renovate my apartment. Mr. Grumpy Old Man can't do anything to stop it. Steve also said that Guillermo is going to take every precaution under the sun to prevent any dust from getting next door. He's going to double tarp the doorway and will bring in a special air vacuum unit to suck up all the terrifying dust from the job during construction.
I guess the management company spoke to Mr. Grumpy and informed him that he wasn't going to be able to stop the renovation because the next day Guillermo got another letter from his attorney.
It basically stated that Mr. BossyPants has "no interest in hindering construction that is undertaken in compliance with building rules and with consideration of neighboring apartments. In this regard, we want you to be aware that Mr.________ suffers from COPD and will be particularly sensitive to activities that could create excessive dust or that could otherwise hinder his breathing."


In other words, "He's going to be Gladys Kravitz, watching you like a hawk, and if one SPECK of dust gets caught in this throat...WATCH OUT, he's lawyered up."


So that's it for now. The fun never ends, right?
All I can say is 'onward, let's light this candle'.



1 comment: