Sunday, June 14, 2015

Loco in la cabeza

I must be out of mind.
While I'm waiting for the final city permits to be approved in order to start demolition (supposedly just days away), I've started ANOTHER major renovation at the house in Sag Harbor. Crazy, right?
I think there's a psychological need to get SOMETHING underway and finished. So I decided to begin a project I've wanted to do for at least 15 years. I'm going to take one of the upstairs guest bedrooms  and turn it into a home office/craft room. It's got a nice vaulted ceiling and a dormer window so it's gets lots of light, just right for a big desk. I'm going to add a lot of millwork, built-in shelves that will go up to the ceiling peak around the window, and some more inset shelves under the dormer for lots of storage. Books, art supplies, CDs, music speakers...all in their proper place. At the base will be deeper cabinets with doors that can close off any stuff I don't want out in the open.
Here's the sketch I gave to the carpenter:


And here's the room as it looks now before the work begins:

A wall of shelves will run up to the ceiling around the window.
The desk will fit under this ceiling slope.

Inset shelves will go under the dormer window.
I'm going to replace the old window also. It will be '6 over 1' divided light to match all the rest of the windows in the house. There will also be room for a twin daybed (I have just the perfect one left over from the old apartment's guest room). I think it will be ideal for reading and napping. I'm also going to bring a big wardrobe I had in the apartment, it will add some nice needed closet space. It's in storage right now, but I'll have it delivered when the room is finished. I'm going to do all the millwork and window trims in Super White, the walls will be a nice buttery yellow, Benjamin Moore's "Montgomery White". Here's a piece of scrap for the wall color:

Montgomery White walls with Super White trim.
Yellow is a color I haven't used anywhere else in then house. It will make that room a little special, a cozy respite for creativity and lazy days. Happily, I've still got the other bedroom room across the hall for guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment