Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Moving day! (part 1)

I can't believe it's finally here
Well the day I've been waiting for has finally come. I moved in the furniture today!
But don't light the Roman candles in celebration just yet.
The latest we heard from that damn shipping company is that the windows are now not arriving til TODAY at 5:00. If you remember they were supposed to arrive YESTERDAY at the same time. We think this means they don't arrive at the apartment til Friday...but when on Friday we can't pinpoint. Again, this all FUBARS the whole finishing schedule. Carina, the contractor's Project Manager, and Steve, my architect, are trying to resolve a better solution today with the shippers. Not sure what the outcome will be but stay tuned...BIG SIGH...
Now, the good news: I got up super early this morning* and got to the apartment to see how the cleanup went from yesterday. The place looks GREAT. 90% if the construction paraphernalia is out of there and aside from the windows, there's not much left to finish.
Here's the major punch list:
--the mantel wall needs to be painted the high gloss finish but we don't want to do this while there's still the potential for dust in the air, this will be done last
--still need to install a lot of attached lighting fixtures (dining niche, bedside, above mantel)
--all hallway closet hardware, knobs and pulls, need to be attached
--shower head fixture still needs installing
--same for medicine chest
--toilet needs to be turned on, it's in place
--some miscellaneous hardware in kitchen to be attached
--some finishing millwork trim (under wood veneer wall for instance)
--mantel needs to be polishing and final seal
The Oz Moving guys were a little late because there was a building a few blocks up from my place that had BRICKS falling off it, enperiling pedestrians on the street. 1st Avenue was closed so they were diverting a lot of traffic to Sutton Place. Of course. On the day I wanted the movers to arrive on time...whatever. They were only 30 minutes late. And they couldn't have been nicer. I got up on the truck to show them what pieces went into the apartment and which would stay on the van and come out to the house in Sag Harbor. That's where I am as I write this. I rented a car to beat them out here. They're due to arrive shortly. I just had too much furniture for that little apartment. A lot of big things (a wardrobe, a bed frame, some end tables, some chairs) all had to travel out here. I guess I'll store it in the basement and/or sell it on Craigslist. I hope they don't get lost...


*I went to breakfast at a little diner that's a block from the new apartment. Now, this place is nothing special. As NY diners go it's very average, but in walks this officious looking woman. She presumes to take a 4-top table all to herself, then takes off her expensive looking camel coat and throws it on a chair, throws down her even more expensive Berkin-looking bag in another chair, then starts hammering away at her cell phone with the nastiest looking RBF (Resting Bitch Face) I've seen in quite a while. Who was it? None other than Tina Brown. The waiter brings her a tea and a grapefruit already cut from he rind. She never looked up from that phone, pecking away the whole time. I wanted to say "smile, it won't hurt a bit!"


Ms. Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment