Saturday, March 28, 2015

Dress for success

I had to wait a whole month from the time I heard the Board agreed to interview me to the actual Big Day. As the date was drawing near I was trying to decide what to wear. I wanted to make the right statement and impression A suit felt too formal (and not really me), but going too casual, say in jeans for example, felt not respectful enough to the occasion. There's that old rule: better to overdress than underdress. A friend of mine said, "Sutton Place? You better WASP it up, baby. That's a very traditional neighborhood. Old money." He was right. I decided to go dressed up, but comfortable. Put together and conservative...with a twist. I hightailed it to Brooks Brothers and bought a beautiful tweed jacket. Luckily they were having a sale.
Then the rest of the ensemble fell into place.
Knit tie? Check.

Wool slacks? Check.

Sweater vest? You bet.

Wing tips? Of course.
Horned-rimmed glasses? How could I not?
It was as close to 'WASP' as this Mexican-American kid from Texas was gonna get.
I felt good about the outfit...but what would the Board think of ME?

1 comment: