Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The architect

As soon as I saw the new place I had a few design ideas. The biggest one was flipping the kitchen and bathroom so that the kitchen could open up onto the main step-down living space. It would give the place a more spacious 'loft-like' feeling. 
I also wanted to enlarge these two spaces and make them much bigger by eating into that awkward large foyer. 
Was any of this possible?
Would I be knocking down a load bearing wall? 
Could the plumbing be switched?
Could I include some closets and maybe room for a washer/dryer also?


This is where you need an architect.
Having done many home renovations now, I HIGHLY recommend utilizing the services of a licensed architect. I have a good design eye (I'm an art director by occupation), so I go into any project like this knowing basically what I want. But God is in the details. And I find that architects bring that extra 15 to 20% in ideas and thinking. They see some things in a fresh way, things you never envisioned. And I love little surprises that make the overall design that much better. A good architect is well worth it. Believe me, you don't want to rely on the design sensibilities of only your contractor no matter how good you think they are. 
Fortunately I'm working with a good architect on this one. And he's also a friend. His name is Steve. And we've already had a lot of fun giving this project some thought. His design layouts are great (stay tuned for future posts on those). I can hardly wait to start picking out paint colors, tiles, appliances, fixtures...but I don't want to get ahead of myself. 
The first priority was to get Steve's blessing on the place before I bought it.
I arranged to have him look at the space to make sure he thought it had as much potential as I thought it did. The good news? He agreed almost as soon as he saw it. He assured me that it was a space he could do some terrific things with. 
I was so relieved. 
Sometimes you just need that extra validation, someone that sees what you see and has a similar vision.
Like minds in this case DID think alike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment