Sunday, March 22, 2015

St. Anthony

I could see from the get-go that I was entering a state of Manhattan real estate limbo, that place between selling your apartment and buying a new one. I'ts cold comfort but I'm told it's a quite common nightmare. If you sell before your new place is ready you have to find a place to live for a short term, not an easy thing to find. If you buy before you sell your old place you're getting whammied with double living costs, a horror story for your wallet.
I had the former problem. If I had bought a new apartment that was move-in ready, it would have been a cinch. But I chose a place that needed a 100% gut renovation that was going to take 4 or 5 months at the least.
Where was I going to go? I had no idea.
I had some vague notion of renting a short term lease apartment, but those are not easy to come by...and they're super expensive. I knew I'd have to put my furniture in storage, but beyond that I didn't have a clue what to do.
I was lost.
Thankfully, St. Anthony the patron saint of finding things and lost people came to my rescue.

St. Anthony of Padua
It was my friend Tony.
I mentioned having to look for a place to live for a few months and one day he had an idea. "Listen, I'm in between jobs right now, why don't you stay at my place and pay the rent for a few months? I'll go live with friends. I could really use the money, you need a place to stay--it works out for both of us." It was a dream solution. His apartment is only four blocks from my old one, so I could also keep my car in the same garage. And his place it totally cute, he has wonderful taste, an eclectic eye for art and furniture. It's an elevator/doorman building with washer/dryers in the basement. All I had to do was bring over all my clothes and it was a done deal.
Tony saved my life, I'm SO indebted. And did I mention he's probably the nicest person in the world too?  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment